Do I need my M1 motorcycle permit?

Yes. While not necessary for the classroom portion of the course, the temporary instruction permit identification card (TIPIC) is required before the first day of on-bike motorcycle training. Failure to produce your TIPIC on the first day of on-bike motorcycle training will result in automatic failure of the course. The Iron Pony Riding Academy will not offer refunds or class transfers for those who enroll in a class but do not have a valid Ohio M1 TIPIC on the day of the first class.

How long is the class?

Two day classes occur on Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 5pm. The two day class starts at our classroom location and later transitions to our range location for riding exercises. Class on Sunday will begin at our range location. Riders must bring riding gear on both days.

Three day classes start with four hours of classroom training at our classroom location on one weeknight from 6pm to 10pm and is followed by two consecutive six hour days (Saturday and Sunday) of on-motorcycle training that takes place at our range location

Total training time is 16 hours.

What do I need to wear for the class?

For three day classes that have a dedicated classroom day, you may dress casually. For two day classes that begin on Saturday, you must bring appropriate riding gear.

The appropriate riding gear is as follows;

  • Over-the-ankle boots.
  • Full-finger gloves.
  • Long sleeved shirt or jacket.
  • Long pants, preferably jeans. There may not be any holes.
  • DOT approved helmet.
  • Eye protection if using an open faced helmet. A full face helmet consisting of a face shield will suffice as eye protection.

We perform classes rain or shine. In the event of rain, we recommend bringing rain gear.

Does Iron Pony Riding Academy provide motorcycles?

Yes! The Iron Pony Riding Academy provides various styles of 250cc and 300cc bikes. We have a cruiser style model, sport bike style model and a standard upright style mode.

Do I need my own helmet?

If necessary, the Iron Pony Riding Academy will loan you a Department of Transportation (DOT) approved helmet.

Can I ride my own bike?

Student owned motorcycles may be used in the Basic Rider System. The student should state a good reason why they are using their own motorcycle. Any motorcycle model manufactured for on-highway use that meets the following criteria may be used:

  • Engine displacement is between 100cc and 500cc.
  • Motorcycle is a two-wheeled vehicle.
  • Motorcycle is street legal.
  • Motorcycle is currently licensed and insured (proof of insurance required).

An instructor will inspect the student's motorcycle/scooter for road worthiness prior to the first riding exercise. The student may then use their motorcycle in the class after a successful inspection and approval by the IP-RA instructor.

*Three wheeled vehicles are not permitted.

If I use my bike, is the class less expensive?

No. While the cost of the class includes the use of an Iron Pony Riding Academy provided motorcycle, no discount is available if you choose to ride your own motorcycle.

Do you cancel class if it rains?

The safety of our students and instructors is our first priority. Training on the range will continue during periods of light rain and wind. At their discretion, instructors may postpone or suspend training if conditions become hazardous. Students should prepare to arrive at their scheduled class even if inclement weather is expected. If rain is expected you should consider bringing foul-weather gear.

Can I receive a refund or reschedule my class if I fail to attend?

No. Registration deposits are non refundable.

If I pass the Basic Rider System (BRS) or the Basic Rider System Returning Rider (BRS-RR) class, do I have to take the motorcycle skills test at my local BMV?

Passing the BRS or the BRS-RR class at Iron Pony Riding Academy will earn you a completion card that is valid for up to 60 days from the day of completion. This completion card will waive the BMV motorcycle skills test.

Does the Iron Pony Riding Academy offer the motorcycle skills test?

No. IP-RA offers the Basic Rider System. Taking the Basic Rider System will teach the fundamentals of riding a motorcycle and is great for both beginning and intermediate riders who have been off a bike for an extended period of time. Successful completion of the Basic Rider System will result in a completion card that will allow you to bypass the BMV motorcycle skills test.

Is it possible to receive a discount on motorcycle insurance by successfully completing a Basic Rider System course?

Some insurance providers will offer a specific discount on provided motorcycle insurance if you provide proof of completion. Upon receiving your completion card for passing the BRS, we suggest taking a picture of the completion card, or scan and print a copy of the completion card to present to your insurance company as proof. We suggest this since when the completion card is redeemed at the BMV, it is confiscated.